Friday, October 10, 2008

The BOX!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay so you know the box I mean. It's the one (or two, or three...) that you packed when you turned 18 and moved away. I am now almost 27 so it's been very close to 10 years since I packed MY boxes. Well, my parents got tired of storing them, so they brought them to me about 2 years ago and they've sat in my garage until last week. Let me just tell you that if you want to have one heck of a funny afternoon--just go through your box. I was ASTONISHED at all the crazy stuff I kept. I really don't know what was possessing me when I packed up my room. Here's a short list of some of the things I found in my boxes....
1. a small box full of pennies (none were old or special or anything, just pennies)
2. Every note anyone ever wrote me in junior high (including one from a boy that asked me if he could kiss me! I was DYING with laughter)
3. My AP English, Geometry, Chemistry, Human Biology, and US History notes (because why?)
4. Every book report I wrote from about 6th grade on...including the one where I wrote a letter to Gerald Lund telling him how much I LOVED the Work and the Glory books and his response letter with a picture of him :)
5. A list of everyone I sent graduation announcements to
6. Of course...all the missionary letters...
7. My beaded necklaces that I earned--one bead at a time--at Girl's Camp
8. Scrapbooked pages of every formal dance I've ever been to...with the names of my dates, what we did for our day activity, and where they took me to dinner
9. PICTURES! of me asleep on the bus, at cheer camp, at EFY, the HIDEOUS haircut, the big blue glasses, and ones of some of you out there--Jessica, Megan (can I just say coconut bra?!), Marinda, Jodi, Lindsay, Sarah!!!!!!!
10. A box full of dried, dead flower corsages, movie tickets, gum wrappers, and other junk--I'm sure I was trying to be sentinmental but now I can't even remember why I kept the stuff?

It was a grand afternoon remembering my younger days. I know I'm only 27 but it seems like it was so long that I was in junior high and high school. Remember when the most important things in your life were the football game, who you liked, and what you were going to wear the next day? It's like I found a part of myself that I'd forgotten for a while--amidst all the diapers, dress-up, bills, etc. I remembered how all of those experiences (the break-ups, the moves, the friends, the teachers) that shaped me into who I am today and I was grateful for them. So if you have a box--and I hope you do--go through it someday. Throw away most of it--but keep some of the things that remind you who you are and why you are who you are.

Love,
Tappia

5 comments:

B and J said...

Hehe to this post!!! PS you don't have to sign off on your posts...we know what URL we are being linked to...but ya, I like that you say, Love, Me :) So funny bout all that stuff! Just keep the stuff that you wish our mom would have kept! Like her old HS dance photos...Sierra will love to make fun of those when she is "in style and hip" and we're the old ones who thought we were cool!!!

B and J said...

Oh ya, BTW I tagged you on my blog...go there, now, read it, and then post it up :)

MBurt said...

Oh, I loved this post. It had me laughing because I recently got my boxes from my parents. I still not sure what to do with all the random photo I took. By the end of the post I had goose bumps, remembering good time, good friends, and a much simpler life. I feel old too! Anyway, thanks for the sentiment.

Arfmann Family said...

Tap
Glad I stumbled across your blog! Let me just tell you that I think you're totally amazing! I am completely envious that you can play the organ in church, among other things. Send me your email and I'll send you an invite to my blog. its arfmannfamily.blogspot.com
Sure love ya and I probably dejunked my box a long time ago, thinking how stupid i was for saving most of that "garbage"
Love
HOllie

Meg said...

Good memories for sure! I do know exactly what picture you are talking about. Funny thing is I just took another one just like it last night at our Halloween party. I did go through some boxes when we moved out to Iowa. The funniest things to me were the missionary letters. Oh how I thought I was in love. Good thing we don't always get what we think we want:). Oh the good ol days!

Ray's Financial Tip of the Month

The best invention of our time is compounding interest. Those that understand it--earn it. Those that don't--pay it.